To order film, you will first need to set up an account with FamilySearch if you do not have one already. This is necessary to prevent spammers from inappropriately accessing the website. Once you have an account, select the Family History Center where you want to view the film at My Family History Center.
Ordering microfilms is easy:
- Identify the microfilm that you would like to order using the FamilySearch Catalog. Proceed to FamilySearch Online Film Ordering and enter the loan type and film number and click 'search'. Short-term loans must be returned within 90 days while long-term loans are indefinite.
- The film will appear in the window with the charges shown and a link to 'Add to Cart.'
- Click the 'Proceed to Checkout' button when you have finished entering in microfilms you would like to order. You will be taken through a series of additional screens to complete your order including payment. Payment can be made with a Visa/Mastercard credit card, debit card or prepaid card. Payment can also be made using PayPal. ($7.50 for short-term; $18.75 for long-term; and $4.75 for microfiche)
- You will receive a confirming email letting you know if the film is available and another email when the film has been received by your local Family History Center (FHC).
- One week before your film is due, you will receive another email from the FHL reminding you that your film is due. If desired, you can renew the film at that time or have the film returned by the FHC. It is best to let your local FHC know when you are finished with a film so that they can return it.
It is always a good idea to confirm the film is not already available online at the FHL or at your local FHC. Online films are identified in the catalog. You will need to check with your local FHC to determine whether they already have a film.
Posted by Liz Stratton; Updated 27 November 2012.