Friday, April 15, 2011

Taking the Plunge -- Becoming a Blog Contributor

Two years ago, the Hamilton County Genealogical Society invited John Philip Coletta to speak at its Annual Chapter Seminar. John shared so much with us that day, but the takeaway message for me was to try to figure out a way to share my family's history.  On his website, John states:
My goal is to help family historians optimize their efforts to uncover and write the stories of their forebears, and to enjoy all along the way the pleasure and humor of the journey.
As I listened to the presentations that day, I was challenged to consider the best way that I could share my family history with my extended family and friends.  I had been researching my family for about eight years by now and was in possession of numerous documents, pictures and artifacts.  With a fair amount of fear and uncertainty, I decided that a "blog" may be the perfect vehicle.  But how do you go about it?

In the two years since I began blogging, much more help is available. I recently discovered Lisa Louise Cook and her website Genealogy Gems. Lisa has made a series of youtube videos that explain exactly how to go about creating your own blog.  One of the advantages of a video is that you can play parts of it over and over until you are comfortable with the content.  After you are up and running, you can move onto parts 2, 3 and 4.



As a relatively new member of the Hamilton County Genealogical Society, I am constantly impressed with the expertise of its members.  It is my hope that this blog will become one more vehicle for sharing that expertise.  I encourage you to leave comments, ask for help and sign up to be a contributor.

Kathy Reed

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on this blog are deeply appreciated and encouraged.