Thursday, February 4, 2021

DNA Happenings - SWOHDNA Update

 


It's been nearly a year since we were able to meet in person, and what a year it has been. Some of you may be aware that I have been largely "out of the picture" for the past six months due to significant health issues, including major surgery for breast cancer. I am doing MUCH better now and I'm ready to get back to my passion. For those of you who are interested in the "nitty-gritty" of my venture into the world of health care, I've included a couple of links at the end of this post. Please feel free to ignore.

Kelli Bergheimer

HCGS member and frequent speaker for our DNA Interest Group, Kelli Bergheimer, has a virtual DNA group. She has asked me to share information on how to participate in this group and access programs for February and March. I've copied her email below.

Email: In Feb and March, I'm working with my virtual DNA group on building lists of inferred matches. Blaine Bettinger and Jonny Perl (DNAPainter) have done some speaking and writing on this over the last 6 months or so. 

Blaine Bettinger did a great webinar on Advanced DNA Techniques: Deductive Chromosome Mapping.

https://familytreewebinars.com/download.php?webinar_id=1233

Jonny Perl (DNA Painter creator) wrote a great blog post about the basics of inferred matching.

More tips for inferred chromosome mapping | DNA Painter Blog

Over the weekend I'm going to send out some instructions and prep work for the group. If you want to ask anyone on your list if they want to come, it's free.

I have figured out a way to take my MyHeritage clusters with my siblings and build one spreadsheet of clusters that my sibs and I share. We will do a similar process with Ancestry Shared matches, FTDNA In Common With, and 23andMe match lists. 

2021 Meetings: Sundays from 5-7 pm EST on Zoom

Feb 21- Monopolizing on Inferred Matches- Part 1 [building your chart]

Mar 21- Monopolizing on Inferred Matches- Part 2 [customizing and teasing out clusters]

If your group members would like to be added to the list, they can email me! 

Kelli's email address is: kbergheimer@gmail.com

*******************************************************************************

Upcoming Talk:

I have been asked to give a talk to the San Diego German Interest Group on March 17th from 4:00 - 6:00 EST. The topic is: "Making German Connections Using Y-DNA." The first half of the talk will discuss an overview of the main DNA companies and the tools that may be used to make connections with other Germans in their database. The second half will be a discussion of how Y-DNA may be a better choice than autosomal. There will also be a discussion of why many Germans are reluctant to test. This part is based on emails from Germans who wanted to help me with this.

This is going to be a Zoom webinar. I will be sending out details in March as to how to register and participate. They have graciously agreed to allow our members to join. It will be very interactive. So take out your calendar and save a spot for all things German on the day we celebrate all things Irish. (The irony has not been lost on me).

As my health continues to improve, I hope to make other opportunities available to this group. So stay tuned. 

******************************************************************************

So for the curious, I'm including links to my family blog where I have been recording my health care adventure since last April. I find it therapeutic to write about it and wanted to have a record of my experience in "real time" for my family. The two links below discuss my recent adventure with pulmonary embolisms followed up three weeks later with congestive heart failure. Know that I have some fantastic doctors and I am definitely on the road to recovery.

A Curve Ball - November 20th to December 28th

What Else Could Happen? - December 29th to January 20th

Submitted by: Kathy Reed

Email: dna.interest@hcgsohio.org


1 comment:

  1. Dear Kathy, I just wanted to send you my love and prayers and hope that your health will continue to improve and I'll see you again sometime soon. I very much miss our DNA meetings and discussions but this past year has taught me to treasure even more the people and events I used to take for granted. Thanks for keeping in touch. KK

    ReplyDelete

Comments on this blog are deeply appreciated and encouraged.